I find eyeliners are one of the most important steps in any makeup routine. If I can only carry two makeup items with me to a deserted island, it’d be an eyebrow pencil and an eyeliner. I already did a post on how i do my eyebrows, and today we are talking about eyeliners.
There are 3 major kinds of eyeliners: pencil, liquid and gel.
Pencil eyeliners are the easiest to work with for beginners, because the formula is very smudge-able, so if you make a mistake, you can simply wipe it off with your finger or a cotton pad and start over again.
It also offers the most natural looks in my opinion. It comes in many colors, like brown, black, purple, teal, etc. Though the annoying part about using a pencil eyeliner is you have to constantly sharpen it. That’s why there are also twistable kinds that doesn’t require sharpening, but it never stays as sharp as you’d like.
So as a summary:
- Very easy to use, especially for beginners
- Comes with many shades for fun looks
- Takes sharpening for a thin eyeliner look
- Doesn’t necessarily stay on for a whole day compared to gel or liquid eyeliner
My favorite pencil eyeliners are:
- Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-on Pencil – it goes on really smooth with really good quality, but it doesn’t necessarily stay for 24/7, in fact, it doesn’t quite stay on even for 8 hours.
- Milani Liquid Eye in #7 Purple – This is smooth and it costs 1/3 as the Urban Decay pencil. I also find the purple color to be natural but not as boring as a brown color.
Liquid eyeliner is one of the hardest to work with for beginners, because it stays on so strong that if you make a mistake, it’s really hard to wipe off. But with enough practice, liquid eyeliner gives you the thinnest and most defined looks. It also won’t budge all day until you take it off with makeup remover.
- Stays on all day
- Easy to make thin, most defined look
- Hard to work with initially
- Doesn’t offer the most natural look
My favorite go-to liquid eyeliners is the Kat Von D Tattoo Eyeliner. The felt tip is really easy to use and the formula stays on forever. I only use eyeliners for special occasions as I feel it doesn’t give a very natural look.
In my opinion, gel eyeliners are the best of both worlds. It stays on all day like a liquid liner, and it gives a natural look like a pencil liner. Gel eyeliners used to be my go-to eyeliner for a long time, but I got tired of using it because it requires a brush and cleaning a brush everyday is both time consuming and cumbersome.
- Stays on all day
- Requires a brush for application, which requires cleaning.
My favorite gel eyeliner is MAC Fluidline in BlackTrack. Smashbox and Bobbi Brown also have great gel eyeliners.
Which eyeliners to pick is really up to each person’s taste and style. They each have their own pros and cons. I’ll do a makeup tutorial on how to use each type of these eyeliners in a later post. I’m excited!
What’s your favorite type of eyeliner? And which one is your go-to eyeliner?